Paula Nelson received her BFA in Graphic Design + Illustration from Kent State University, in Ohio in 2004. She is a native Clevelander currently living and working in Northern New Jersey.
Paula is a representational oil painter, with a strong focus on color relationships and expressive brushwork. She is interested in how it feels to truly sit with a subject, be it still life or landscape, and carefully study the moment. Sitting still, paying homage to overlooked everyday experiences, such as a daily drive down a grey highway of bare winter trees, are places to find inspiration. Studying the way shapes connect with one another, she simplifies unnecessary noise with bold, purposeful brushstrokes. Her work is deeply focused on looking more closely at everyday life, the passage of time, and capturing simple moments.
- 'Time + Place' solo show,
- Beach Haven Art Walk,
- 'Les Femmes' group show
- 'We Live in Outer Space' group show,
- 'Eros and the Anatomy of Desire' group show,
- 'Memento Mori' group show,
- 'Shell Yes' solo show,
- Contributing artist,
- Featured muralist,
Awards and Honors
- Featured in the Goodtype Book Vol1 & Vol2 https://www.goodtype.us/book
- Lewis Williams Scholarship recipient for Outstanding Senior Portfolio, Visual Communication Design program, Kent State University
- 2008 First Place Pressclub Award in Illustration with Great Lakes Publishing
- American Society of Business Publication Editors Award for Oct '07's Presstime Magazine's cover "World View"
- Multiple Addy Awards for illustration
- Lecturer for Ohio University's Editorial Illustration senior classes, Spring '07 & '08